Fayetteville Policies and Procedures 702.0
Bomb Threat Policy
The original PDF version of this policy is linked from the revised date below.
The procedure for reporting and administering a bomb threat is as follows:
- The person receiving the threat must stay calm and attempt to get as much information as
possible from the caller.
THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONS TO REMEMBER AND ASK ARE:
- When will the bomb go off?
- Where is the exact location of the bomb?
- What does the bomb look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will make it explode?
- Who placed the bomb?
- The caller? Why?
- What is the caller's address? Name?
- Contact UAPD by dialing 911 or 9911 immediately after receiving a bomb threat. Remain calm and wait for the police to arrive. After the police have been called, the information on the attached "Bomb Threat" sheet should be completed if possible. A University Police Officer will interview the person who received the threat and then contact the Building Executive to discuss the search procedures and possible evacuation of the building. UAPD will relate pertinent information to the Building Executive so that a decision may be made as to whether or not to evacuate the building.Pertinent information which makes evacuation mandatory may include, but is not limited to the following:
- device has been found
- information from threat confirmed
- specific information from caller (i.e., time of explosion type of device)
- In the absence of a Building Executive, the Chancellor, the Dean, Vice Chancellor,
or Director in charge of the facility will be expected to replace the Building Executive
as the decision maker.
- When the building is evacuated, everyone will be directed by the police to leave the building
and go to a safe located (i.e., across the street, to another building, etc.).
Do not use elevators.
It will be the responsibility of the UAPD Supervisor to contact UAPD Communications to implement their internal bomb checklist for those to be called includes:
- UAPD patrol units
- Appropriate emergency response personnel:Physical Plant if university buildings are
- FAYETTEVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT
- CENTRAL EMS
- FAYETTEVILLE POLICE DEPARTMENT
- Bomb Disposal Unit if advised to do so
- UAPD supervisory personnel
- On-call UAPD Criminal Investigation Division
- Residence Life when residence halls are involved
- Student Services when students are affected
- Greek Affairs when Greek houses are involved
- Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
- UAPD Public Information Officer
- University Relations
- Arkansas State Police (pursuant to the Governor's directive regarding these types of incidents)
Reformatted for Web May 28, 2014