Fayetteville Policies and Procedures 409.3
Keys for University Buildings and Rooms
Keys for university buildings and rooms, except student housing and food service, are issued by the Key Office located within Facilities Management, with customer access through the Service Center entrance and parking located on Mitchell Street.
In order for an individual to be issued keys, the person must present to the Key Office staff a completed key authorization card manually signed by the appropriate official authorized to approve the issuance of keys for that particular area and a University of Arkansas identification card. The Key Office maintains a signature file of deans, directors and department heads who control authorization of access to buildings or parts of buildings. More than one authorization signature may be required for some areas.
- Authorization signatures must be manual; a stamped signature will not be accepted.
- When the authorizing individual is temporarily unavailable, a letter on office letterhead designating temporary authority to another person will be accepted in the Key Office. The letter must contain beginning and ending dates, the signature of the person temporarily authorized to sign for keys and the signature of the authorizing individual.
- If there are changes in personnel who have signature authorization for specific areas or changes in the areas, the Key Office should be notified immediately and furnished with new authorization signatures and buildings or areas. Forms to indicate changes are available in the Key Office.
The individual to be issued the key must present to the Key Office staff a completed key authorization card manually signed by the appropriate official authorized to approve the issuance of keys for that particular area and a University of Arkansas identification card. The individual receiving the key(s) must:
- Personally pick up the key(s)
- Present their valid University of Arkansas identification card
- Sign the card acknowledging receipt and responsibility for the use of the key(s)
- Key(s) must be picked up within 30 days of card issuance or card becomes invalid
Keys are issued to individuals only, not to departments. All keys issued become the responsibility of the individual.
Upon the employee's termination or transfer, or the student's graduation, keys must be promptly returned to the Key Office, not the employee's department or the student's college. Keys are issued to the person (not the function, department or college). The key holder of record must return the keys to ensure there is no question as to what keys were originally issued and which keys are being returned. The key holder will receive a receipt acknowledging what keys were in fact returned. NOTE: Keys are not transferable. Upon termination, faculty and staff final paychecks may have deductions made if all keys are not returned. A student's transcript may be held until all keys are returned.
Lost or Stolen Keys
If a key is lost or stolen, the appropriate dean, director or department head should be notified immediately, as well as the University of Arkansas Police Department. The individual losing the key and/or the department who authorized the issuance of the key will be assessed a fee in accordance with the following schedule:
- $10 per individual key
- $20 per sub-master key
- $50 per master key
The key holder or the employees’ department may be held responsible for additional expenses due to lost keys, such as theft of university property, damage to facilities and costs to re-key facilities.
All educational and general purpose facility re-keying due to lost keys will either be performed or authorized by Facilities Management. Any duplication of a university key is strictly prohibited.
Keys may be issued to contractors working on campus, on a temporary basis only, for a specific time period. All contractors will be required to place a deposit for each key issued based on the following schedule:
- Individual keys: $35.00 (per key)
- Sub-master keys: $50.00 (per key)
- Master keys: $150.00 (per key)
- Gate openers: $150.00 (per unit)
The Facilities Management construction coordinator may extend the times that contractors may keep issued keys. If issued keys are returned within the specified time period, the key deposit will be refunded. If issued keys are not returned within the specified time period, the deposit will be forfeited. Any expenses that occur due to a contractor losing a key will be borne by the contractor. The contractor's final pay request may be held until resolution of lost key issues. All re-keying due to lost keys by contractors will be performed and/or authorized by Facilities Management. Any duplication of university keys is prohibited.
If you have questions or need further information, please contact us via email at email@example.com or call 479-575-2255.
April 7, 2015