Fayetteville Policies and Procedures 215.1
Policy Development – Fayetteville Policies and Procedures
The original PDF version of this policy is linked from the revised date below.
Fayetteville Policies and Procedures do not replace any Board policies or State regulations. They are instituted to expand upon what is already in place or cover campus regulations that are not covered in Board policies.
These policies should improve controls, enhance understanding of what to do in a specific situation, reduce risk, increase efficiency and effectiveness and elaborate on new compliance regulations or rules that are not covered under Board policy.
Before a policy/procedure is developed, it must be identified as a need. An analysis
is made to determine who the owners of the policy should be. The department/unit that
is identified as the “owner” drafts the policy. We should be proactive in creating
policies before an emergency mandates the need for development of a policy.
The department/unit developing the policy assembles a team to determine the best path for the policy to cover. This should be an easy-to-understand document that individuals needing to refer to the policy for direction can understand.
Every Fayetteville Policy has an “owner” identified with the policy. It is the “owner’s” responsibility
to be sure that the policy is kept up to date and rewritten or deleted when necessary.
Users of the policies should contact the policy “owner” if there are suggestions, updates,
corrections, or problems with the policy.
Effective dates of the policy and revision dates are posted at the end of every policy.
Steps to Create or Revise a Policy
- After the “owner” has drafted a policy, it is sent to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration for review by the Executive Committee and the General Counsel.
- After review and approval of the Executive Committee and approval of the General Counsel, it is either returned to the “owner” for suggested changes, or it is given a number by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration and implemented.
- If changes are required, the “owner” makes the changes and forwards the policy to the VCFA for assignment of a number and insertion in the Fayetteville Policies and Procedures.
- After approval and assignment of a number, the policy is placed on the Fayetteville Policies and Procedures web site. This site is located at http://vcfa.uark.edu/policies/fayetteville and can be viewed by anyone using the internet.
- Faculty and staff at the University are notified of a new or revised policy through the “Daily Headlines.” An announcement of the name and number of the policy and the web site where it can be viewed is posted as soon as the policy is placed on the web.
- The format for submitting a new or revised policy should use the same format as this policy. No number will be listed on a new policy because that will be assigned when the policy is approved. However, if a policy is being revised, the changes should be highlighted and the number should be indicated.
Reformatted for Web May 16, 2014
Revised October 22, 2009
August 25, 2005